Wednesday, July 30, 2008

End of the Summer Vacations

We all started out Thursday and drove to St. Johns, AZ where two of Calvin's brothers live and where we stayed each night. Thank you Dwight and family for putting up with us and a special thanks to Lanae for entertaining our kids while we were there. We made a visit to Eager, AZ (where Calvin grew up until he was 12) on Friday and had a lot of fun playing at a park there. The weather was great except for some rain that eventually forced us to leave. On Saturday we went to Luna, NM for a Pioneer Day Parade and Rodeo. Luna is a tiny little town that Calvin's mom lived for quite a few years, but before Calvin was born. She made it a tradition in their family to go back for 24th of July celebration every year. We haven't made it every year but we do go most years. After the parade we went and visited with Calvin's sister, Barbara, who lives in Luna and then we went to visit Grandma's grave site. It was the first Pioneer Day celebration since she past away last October and it was a little bitter sweet. Grandma often walked in the parade dressed in her Pioneer skirt and bonnet often paired with a cowgirl type of blouse so that she could go straight to the rodeo also. I was sad to see that no one in the parade dressed as pioneers although they did have a float with someones family history on it and that was kind of cool. The kids had lots of fun gathering candy that was thrown from the floats in the parade. We didn't stay for the rodeo, this has never been Calvin's favorite thing to do but we still had a nice time.



Sunday we went to Church in St. Johns and had a big family dinner. After dinner we sent Calvin home with his brother Milton, who lives in town, and the kids and I went on to our next vacation spot. Calvin couldn't come with us because he had to work but we decided to go see our friends in Albuquerque since we were already half way there and it would be our last chance to have some fun before school starts. We went to downtown Albuquerque one day; a children's Museum the next day and a place called Tinkertown the last day. We went to a couple of different parks and my kids had lots of fun playing outside, since we can't really do that here right now. My friend, Katie, and I watched movies every night and worked on few puzzles. We went out to dinner once and that was the only time that I got lost trying to follow Katie's Van. Traffic was kind of heavy and I didn't see her getting off the freeway until it was to late. I made my way back to her house thinking maybe her husband, Gordon, would be there or at least I could get inside and try to call her to get directions to the restaurant. I did manage to get inside through an unlocked window but I am blind and couldn't see the list of cell phone numbers on her fridge, so I got on the Internet; looked up the restaurant and got a set of directions. I didn't get very far though before I saw Katie's van coming back to look for me. She left her 3 kids and 2 of mine with Gordon at the restaurant and came to find me. By the time we got to the restaurant they were all done eating but they waited patiently for us to get our food and eat too. It was a Mongolian Grill where you pick out all of your food put it in a bowl and then at the end of the line they cook it for you on this huge grill. I have to say that I am impressed that Gordon was able to get all 5 girls though that line. I was struggling to get through it with just 1 Tyler and Katie was there to help me. It was really good food and I think I will have to try the one here in AZ sometime soon.

1 comment:

KAT said...

That was quite a trip you guys took. I am glad that we were included. We've found some more fun things here in ABQ, you'll need to come back again!